[pskmail] Re: More Progress and questions

  • From: Ed <autek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 15:43:39 -0500

Bill - N8ET wrote:
Hi - Thanks for the helpful messages on the list last night while I was asleep! My server now is "located" in Ohio right where is should be (rather than somewhere in China!), and the PTT is now working - all it took was a click on the initialize button!

ASLEEP....you sleep when you can be playing radio.....

I am currently up on 21.090 MHz USB on a very dead band doing some testing with another local (N8RMF) He is having trouble with his PTT via the serial port (which was working last night). When he clicks on "initialize" he gets a message saying is is "unable to open". Anyone have any ideas what is causing that

Sounds as though he has something else tying up the serial port, what all is he running from the port. Remember if its hamlib, you can only run 1 instance at a time...IOW you can't use Xlog and fldigi and hamlib at the same time, its hamlib and fldigi in this case. That is if he set up Xlog with hamlib support. If I'm wrong give us some more info to go with.

Also - can someone give me a brief tutorial on how to download and install a new application - like Hamlib - so I can try out the rig control features with my FT857D and FT-100D?

Thanks again!

1. go to hamlib.org
2. download version 1.2.5 to your /home
3. open your file manager....nautilus or konqueror
4. double click the file you downloaded, this should open file roller or something similar, hit the "extract" button
5. from a terminal "cd hamlib-1.2.5"
6. now if your there....hopefully... do the next 3 steps in order

  ./configure

  make

  then as root (su or sudo)

  make install

If you have problems please cut and paste any error messages, and include the distro you are using and whether it is gnome or kde.

HTH

Ed W3NR

BTW are you using the livecd ?? if so is it installed to your HD or running from the cd ???