[pskmail] Re: More Progress and questions

  • From: Pär Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 21:21:52 +0100

mån 2007-01-01 klockan 13:58 -0500 skrev Bill - N8ET:
> Hi -
>
> Thanks for the helpful messages on the list last night while I was asleep!
> My
> server now is "located" in Ohio right where is should be (rather than
> somewhere in China!), and the PTT is now working - all it took was a click
> on the initialize button!
>
> I am currently up on 21.090 MHz USB  on a very dead band doing some
> testing with another local (N8RMF)  He is having trouble with his PTT via the
> serial port (which was working last night).  When he clicks on "initialize"
> he
> gets a message saying is is "unable to open".  Anyone have any ideas what
> is causing that?
>
> Also -
>
> can someone give me a brief tutorial on how to download and install a new
> application - like Hamlib - so I can try out the rig control features with my
> FT857D and FT-100D?
>
> Thanks again!

Hi Bill,

The "unable to open" message could be just that, is he sure he is trying
the right interface ? Is it a usb-converter ?
One way to find out about these things is by searching the log. Within
drakconf (called "Configure your computer") under the systems tab is a
log query tool. Search for "usb" and check messages to see any errors,
wanings or info.

For applications I assume u are using the live distro and hamlib is
already there. You may install more stuff by using urpmi, it automates
the entire process of downloading, installing and getting required stuff
etc. There are several tutorials on the net, here is one:
http://uug.byu.edu/articles.php?article=63