[pskmail] Re: Fwd: server improvements

  • From: Josh Housey <kg9bo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Gilbert Franke <g.a.franke@xxxxxxxxx>, Robert Krasowski <rkrasowski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 20:01:13 -0700 (PDT)

All,

To answer your question about gating activity, the software will automatically
go that. When it hears any APRS activity, it will send some "message"  stating
its "GATING a callsign". This will also mean any beacon packets coming from
servers as well. I know this is the case because on another computer I am
watching the "APRS" packets coming from the PSKMail servers.

In contrary to what is automatically defined in the software, I do not beacon
every hour but rather every 10 minutes. I do recommend to increase it to "drum"
up some activity to let others know PSKMail "its out there" because I don't
think anyone does know. This is even so with seeing the occasion RTTY (was an
extremely strong one last night) and sometimes other modes (not counting HF
packet I see rather consistently on my waterfall screen nearby. When some level
of activity is reached, it can be decreased. I would like to hear how its being
done with Europe. More frequent transmissions would give a better propagation
indication of the band. I and probably some others would like to have some gage
on 30m which I tend to find is a weird/unusual and possibly erratic/sporadic
band.

If you would like to try setting your station to 10 minutes, open a text editor
and open you "pskmailrc.pl" file. Its in in your home directory/.pskmail
folder. There should be an option for "Period" and change that to 10. There is
a "BeaconArray" option and make sure that is set to "{ 1 0 0 0 0}". I can
include my pskmailrc.pl if anyone is unfamiliar...

Right now, station dial is 10.147Mhz USB and waterfall shows 10.148.00Mhz. Mode
is THOR22 (experimenting, but also use PSK250R but cannot use PSK250) with RXID
on. I am not sure, but I don't think its doing TXID but I think its not suppose
to be. Antenna is a Jetstream JVT680 vertical 30ft high transmitting 65 watts
to a ICOM-718 (actual is probably 50-55 watts). An HF radio with better
filtering (500khz IF filter)/DSP options is being heavily considered. The
IC-7200 is on the top of my short list, with the FT-450D second (but can't do
500khz IF on digital modes).

Robert, KB2PNM, I am still seeing many packets but no decode. FLDigi doesn't
detect RXID (are you using TXID?) and doesn't adjust (AFC) to try decoding you.
One time, I turned off the server and manually moved over to your exact audio
and couldn't decode. Signals, unfortunately, have not been extremely
outstanding either.... Fortunately, my Jetstream JVT680 vertical has a
consistent S1 noise floor and that dropped due to the autumn season. It looks
like VE7SUN is back on, getting a few broken up packets here from VE7CUS.

73
Josh AB9FT

________________________________
From: Gilbert Franke <g.a.franke@xxxxxxxxx>
From: egmco <egmco@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 7:20 AM
Subject: server improvements
To: Gilbert Franke <g.a.franke@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi, hope I'm not bugging you too much - it seems that you/central TX,
Robert K./N. Carolina , and AB9FT/Wisconsin are the servers to
concentrate on. Darrel/Vancouver possibly, but he runs PSK500/RSID, is a
long way off, and does not have a great antenna; I think he runs 40/80
meters to his own client a lot.

So for CenTX, Carolina, and Wisconsin, we could strengthen pskmail
NAmerica by:

1)verifying that each server is functioning continuously; get them to
report gating to the internet, get them to describe their antennas,
contacts, times when server is offline, etc.

2)attempting to alter/improve each server's situation

3)attempt to alter/improve clients, and increase their activity, get
them beaconing once an hour, so that aprs logs can show functioning...

I can decode and signal unconnected/connected to you, but not to the
others.

Do you have email addresses for Robert/Carolina and Wisconsin?

Regards,TS

--
Gilbert A Franke
361 442 6008 (cell)