[pskmail] Re: Fwd: server improvements

  • From: Gilbert Franke <g.a.franke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Josh Housey <kg9bo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 07:13:43 -0500

Josh -- thank you for this helpful discussion.  I will also change my server
to every 10 minutes.  That is a good idea, especially while we are trying to
get more activity and get an idea of the propagation on 30 M.

I know I need to do some work on my antenna.  Your vertical must be doing a
good job for you. I see you occasionally on my server log, but don't think
I've ever successfully pinged you, however, I don't often run the client
here since I put the server on the air.  When I get the server moved to the
county EOC, then I will have full use of my client from the house.

My station:  IC-7000 with LDG AT-7000 into a dipole at 25 ft. running 25
watts.  I'm considering an end fed halfwave as described by AA5TB
http://www.aa5tb.com/efha.html.

I am configured with dial at 10.147, center audio 10.148, PSK250, RxID on.
 At present I am only beaconing on the hour, but sending an aprs report
every 10 minutes.  Since this is a fixed position server, I don't know why
that is so often.

I'm glad to hear the gating reports are part of the server software, and if
that also includes beacon packets from other servers, maybe that is where I
have seen your callsign in my log, Josh.  I'm wondering, if you are using
THOR 22, will my server set on PSK250 with RxID on, decode your beacon?

This discussion is very helpful to me.  Hopefully it will help us provide a
more consistent server network for the ham who decides to try pskmail, and
will find it worthwhile.

Tnx es 73,
Gil WB5RFQ

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 10:01 PM, Josh Housey <kg9bo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: