[projectaon] Re: Possibly more on Trevor Newton

  • From: Jonathan Blake <jonathan.blake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 08:38:17 -0700

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 5:19 AM, James Durrant
<james.durrant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I agree - I have always understood that as long as the statement "all
> reasonable efforts have been taken to attempt to reach the copyright
> holders.  If anybody has further information and would like the images to be
> taken down from the site please contact ..... and we will be pleased to do
> so" is included, you can include pretty much anything - the point being that
> we have made all reasonable effots and have the documentation to back this
> up.

The difficulty comes if the rights holder wants to sue for "an
appropriate fee" for past use of his work. We may be well within our
right to use the work (having put in a good faith effort to obtain
permission), but proving that in court costs money. The same applies
to the computer games that we've made available, but it's a calculated
risk we've taken because it seems that there is no clear rights holder
in that case.

It looks to me like we will be publishing Voyage of the Moonstone sans
illustrations, at least in the immediate future.