[projectaon] Re: Possibly more on Trevor Newton

  • From: McSwain LeRoy <simonaamanarfan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 12:19:17 -0400

fellow kai lords,

as much as i myself am a critic of copyright, i have to agree with ingo's
conclusions.  while, i disagree that it's morally wrong to avoid getting
separate permissions for every incidental use of a copyrighted work, that's not
the direction the law is moving in.
as far as likelihood of being sued goes, i think we'd be far more likely to be
sued by heirs than the original artist.  for example, tolkien's heirs sued tsr
for printing the word 'hobbit' in one of their books and the heirs of composer
(or whatever he was) john cage sued 'the planets' for putting a moment of
silence on their album.  i doubt the principals would have done that.  (in
fact, i'm a little anxious about what will happen to project aon once the
original artists are gone.)
at any rate, tracking down the copyrights is the way we've always done it in
the past.  good to keep project aon pure.  so, when i go to project aon, i know
that i'm seeing only works where the creators want me to see them, not where
the creators are waiting with a team of lawyers to sue me.
besides, if mr. newton didn't die until 2002, he surely knew about the
internet, and if he wanted his works not to fade into oblivion, he could have
looked us up.  :.)

for sommerlnd and the kai,
leroy

5GBのオンラインファイル保存サービス。Hotmailでファイル共有もできる!