[project1dev] Re: civilians and townsfolk

  • From: Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 10:51:22 -0700

How about this for building construction, working in some stuff we talked
about previously...

Based on your population, you have so many active builders.  I think you
should gain builders faster at the beginning of growing your population and
gain them slower towards the end.

Anyhow, each builder would be perpetually working.  When he was finished
with one building, hed go to where ever the next building was needed and
start there.  I think you are right though that we are going to need to keep
track of current population not just by how many houses you have, but also
how many people are in those houses.  I dont think we have to keep track for
each house, but we can know that we have houses enough for 100 people and
that we only have 90 people currently.  90 is the current real population.
When someone dies, it just subtracts 1 from the 90.  When bats attack a
house, they pull out a person so long as population > 0 and if that person
dies it subtracts 1 from the 90.   That is odd because if you had 1 person
left and 20 buildings, no matter which building the bat attacked it would
take your 1 guy.  We can chalk it up to the bat knowing that your guy was in
there, otherwise he wouldnt have attacked that house hehe.

Anyways back to building... Each tile supports 27 people total with level 1
building technology.

Our current map has about 20 tiles on it and represents 1/4th of the map,
but probably represents 1/3 of the total buildable area of the full area of
level 1.

So let's say we have 60 tiles with 27 people per tile, that comes to 1620
people in this first level.  Our builder table might be something like...

0 Tiles (0 population) = 1 builder
2 Tiles (54 population) = 2 builders
6 tiles (162 population) = 3 builders
etc

we'd have to play with the numbers to make sure there wasn't time when you
were waiting just way too long for the low # of builders you have to build
new houses and grow population.

other stuff im thinking..

#1 - if a builder dies, you lose a person from your population, but you
instantly get another builder.  We dont have to keep track of "oh they have
the potential for 5 builders but 2 of them are dead".  It may be more
realistic to do it that way, but it complicates things and i dont think it
would really add anything worth while to the game play.

#2 - when a new house is built, you instantly gain the population that lives
inside that house.  So if you built a house that holds 12 people, you
instantly get 12 to your population.

But yeah, i think you are right, i think we are going to have to keep track
of current population, not just calculate it based on how many houses you
have.