Re: teaching a totally blind person to program

  • From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 07:59:32 -0400

Hi Jared,
There was one called SPF PC. That may be one word. I'm not sure. I don't
know who made it. I used it with VERT and ScreenPower in the late 80's and
early 90's.

Jim

James D Homme, Usability Engineering, Highmark Inc.,
james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810

"The difference between those who get what they wish for and those who
don't is action. Therefore, every action you take is a complete
success,regardless of the results." -- Jerrold Mundis
Highmark internal only: For usability and accessibility:
http://highwire.highmark.com/sites/iwov/hwt093/

             "Jared Stofflett"
             <stofflet@xxxxxxx
             Sent by:                  programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             programmingblind-                                          cc
             bounce@freelists.
             org                                                   Subject
                                       Re: teaching a totally blind person
                                       to program
             08/11/2008 10:54
             PM

             Please respond to
             programmingblind@
               freelists.org

If I had my way everyone who wanted to learn to program would be given a
shiny new T S O ID, the MVS C/C++ programmers guides, the JCL refference
manuals, and a pat on the back before leaving them to there own devices
and seeing how long it took before they went mad. A little part of me
dies in side every time I press control+b in eclipse to build a project
instead of finding the proper JCL member of the dataset I need, opening
it, typing sub in the command field, and using sdsf to figure out what
the hell went wrong this time. I'm also upset that I haven't been able
to find an accessible SPF editor clone for the PC and if anyone knows of
one it'd be appreciated.
Ken Perry wrote:
> Yes but Sina you and I are sick sick people and Lisp is like a cold
medicine
> for the sick.
>
> Ken

The
> best place to begin experimenting with these concepts is in the command
mode
> of an interpreted language.  This gives the beginner the opportunity to
get
> immediate feedback on the results of simple commands without the need to
> produce a completed program or even to create a user interface.
> Unfortunately, I know of no interpreted language that works well with
screen
> readers within the Windows environment!!  GWBasic for DOS was the last
easy
> to learn environment that I have seen.
>
> Good luck!!!
>
> Bob

This
> kind of question usually starts a religious debate.
>
> Jim

I'm