Re: symbian SDK

  • From: Veli-Pekka Tätilä <vtatila@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 18:27:32 +0200

Hi Lamar,
Well, first of all, you can do all Symbian development on the command
line, apart from running the emulator, even hacking together resources
in resource script. There are GUi tools based on Carbide C++, which is
derived from Eclipse, however you don't have to use that if you don't
want.

Symbian is virtually fully C++ based and highly objecct oriented. YOu
don't normally program in C at all, though stdlib and POSIX:ish stuff is
available to ease porting. Strings are objects, for instance, and to
open a file, you use a server API to contact a local file server, so
that's quite different from Win32.

You can use Visual Studio, Code Warrior or Carbide C++ to compile stuff
for the INtel based phone emulator, or rather simulator. TO compile for
the real, Arm based phone hardware, you need a compiler which is able to
produce Arm binaries. The only option I know for that is GCC.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~vtatila