switching pages in a web site to use Silverlight 3 instead of Adobe flash?

  • From: "Katherine Moss" <plymouthroamer285@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 16:47:30 -0500

Hi guys,

This has been bothering me for quite a while now.  I'm certainly no
programmer, not yet at least, and I'll never be one professionally, but I do
enjoy coding to say the least.  I'd like to know something.  Mojo Portal,
the CMS off of which my web site is based (it's about technology with a
primary focus on accessibility), has some flash elements in it, and I don't
really like that for a number of reasons going in order from most important
to least important:

Flash exhibits many security holes, and I want to protect my users/viewers

Flash is not the most accessible thing in the world for JAWS users

Flash is not a viable option when it's installer is not accessible and the
plugin for Firefox is unstable

I've not heard of a single issue like this with Silverlight.  I know that
this may sound strange, but one of my proposals for the web site downloads
page, which is a separate page due to the fact that some of it branches in a
few directions, is to have video/audio live demos of Operating system
functionality, apps, and other related media content.  I'd like that to be
done in Silverlight.  Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.  To
see the site, go to www.raeder24.org.

Thanks,

Katherine