Re: starting development for IOS devices

  • From: Florian-achtige <florianbeijers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 10:34:34 +0100

Ok, time for me to step in.

I've actually been reading up on this, trying some things and I can
agree and disagree with the following points:

- jailbreaking: Even if you jailbreak your phone, you are probably
still going to need a mac to develop apps. Keep in mind that a lot of
apps Apple rejected from the appstore end up in the cydia jailbreak
store. There's of course web apps and tweaks that can perhaps be
written in straight c or html+some sort of API on windows, but you are
still going to need a mac for any serious stuff. Furthermore, last
year it has been decided that jailbreaking is in fact legal.
Installing cracked apps is not, of course, but jailbreaking is. After
all, you should be allowed to do whatever the heck you wish with your
device no? You bought it. While it is true that apple does adhere to
the interface guidelines, it does not mean that the jailbreak
community would like to see controls laid out in a haphazard way, it
will just have the same effect.
- simulator: The simulator in xCode 3.x is actually not accessible at
all, and voiceOver cannot be toggled on. In xCode 4, the simulator is
somewhat accessible, meaning you can navigate your UI using the mac's
voiceOver. Not the voiceOver that comes built into IOS.
For xCode 4.x however you already need to pay for a developer
subscription I believe.
- laying out GUI's: InterfaceBuilder is, both in xCode 3 and 4, as
good as completely inaccessible when it comes to actual control
layout. You can bring up some properties most of the time, but that's
it. There is indeed a way to do it in code but it is rather
masochistic and should be avoided if possible. At least, that is how
people describe it on conventional cocoa lists. For IOS however, it is
our only way. Try finding documentation about xCode before
interfaceBuilder was created. It's a while ago, but might help you
find the guiding to create UI's by code. For Mac OS, there is the
ernaissanceX framework to do xml-GUI's. Sort of like how wpf handles
things with its xaml. This does not exist for IOS yet but I believe
it's being worked on.

Good luck,
Florian