Re: starting development for IOS devices

  • From: Kerneels Roos <kerneels@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 09:28:16 +0200

Hi,
This is something I really would like to try also, but it's quite a mission. See my comments below, I'll tell you as much as I know.

On 6/30/2011 7:12 AM, Littlefield, Tyler wrote:
Hello all:
I was kind of curious what all it takes to get IOS development working. The process looks rather lengthy and requires you stand on your head while singing the national anthem backwards and making faces. What sort of issues have people ran into while creating IOS applications?
Yeah, you can't just download a SDK and get cracking. I believe if you do jailbrake development it is far simpler since the SDKs is cross platform and you can very easily get the app onto your device (jailbraked of course). I think the whole jailbrake thing is illegal and obviously no hope for the App Store there.
It looks to me like the *right* way to go about things is like this:
1. Get an INTEL, note INTEL based Mac as recent as possible.
1.5. Learn how to use VoiceOver on the Mac.
2. Use your Mac to register for free as a developer at developer.apple.com.
3. Download the Xcode + iOS bundle of about 4 GB unless your Mac is very recent and came with it installed or on a DVD.
4. Install Xcode and IOS SDK.
5. Use Xcode and help docs and examples to create a first app.
5.5. Learn ObjectiveC and the Cocoa and Cocoa Touch APIs.
6. Test it on the simulator.
7. Upgrade your free developer account to a paid for one -- I think it's $99 per year. 8. Use the certificate you get from Apple to sign your app and actually get it onto a iOS device for real testing.

As you can see, quite a process.
There is however another way.
* Web Apps
* Adobe Flex via the Flex SDK (free) or Flex / Flash Builder which runs on Windows also. Apparently it's possible to create fully installable Flex apps for iOS devices and there are many successful such apps on the App Store. This is made possible by Apple relaxing the license agreement last September allowing developers to use other tools for development and signing. I suspect the Flex solution is actually at it's core a Web Kit browser running HTML5, JavaScript and CSS type web apps, and that you then don't have full access to what the phone or pad can do, yet it's still a stand alone app that people can buy on the app store.

How do you lay out controls so that they look ok for someone who is sighted? Does the IOS simulator work on the mac?

I'm positive the iOS simulator works on the mac, probably to such an extent that you can enable VoiceOver on the actual simulator. As to GUI screen layouts I don't know if the designer part of the Xcode suite is accessible -- probably not. You would probably be able to do the layout by hand, by code, but keep in mind if your aim is the App Store that Apple has interface design guidelines or rather requirements which you have to comply by else they won't accept your app.

--
Kerneels Roos
Cell: +27 (0)82 309 1998