RE: programmingblind Digest V3 #5

  • From: "Peter Quaiattini" <Peter_Quaiattini@xxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 12:05:33 -0700

All -
Some of you may laugh at me, because, although I have used unix for
years, I have never mastered vi and so have the same complaint as does
Eileen. Using CRT, I don't seem to get JAWS to track the cursor; any
tips on this aspect would be greatly appreciated.
Never the less, I have opted to use, and here is where you can't laugh
at me, ed - the line editor. It is simple, powerful enough, available
everywhere  and I'm pretty quick with it.
Anyhow that being the case, when I revise crontab, here's what I do:
1) write the current crontab contents to a temporary text file temp1
with the command: crontab -l > myfile
2) edit temp1 with ed (or what ever you like).
3) Activate the new crontab with the command: "crontab myfile"
Alternatively, you can change the default editor that cron uses by
executing the command: "export EDITOR=ed". I suppose you can set the
value to what ever is the name of your most favorite editor if you don't
like ed. Then, when you execute "crontab -e", it will open with ed (or
what ever editor you specified) instead of vi. HTH

Peter Quaiattini
BITS OPS - Data Hosting Services
Canadian Pacific Railway
(403) 319-6579
peter_quaiattini@xxxxxx

From: "E.J. Zufelt" <everett@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Replacing crontabs
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 18:24:29 -0400

On the same note, I find that nano is very easy to use with OpenSSH for
Windows.

Everett