Re: prime numbers question

  • From: Chris Hofstader <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 08:54:46 -0400

One optimization to Sina's description is that you can automatically eliminate all even numbers as all are divisible by 2.

On Aug 16, 2009, at 8:46 AM, Sina Bahram wrote:

Start by defining what a prime number is ... I'm going to assume you know
some of this, but I won't give the full answer here.

Very rough, non-mathematical definition:

A prime number is any number greater than 1, which is evenly divisible by
only itself and 1.

The first  few are: 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, and so on.

So if I was a computer, and I'm given a number, I have to figure out if it is evenly divisible by only itself and one. How would I go about finding
out what a number is evenly divisible by?

Hint:

Evenly divisible is another way of saying that when you divide a number by a divisor, the remainder is 0. If this was in print, I would have underlined
the word remainder.

Hope this puts you on the right track?

Take care,
Sina