RE: norton products

  • From: Ben Humphreys <brh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 17:08:41 -0400

Brent,

It's been my experience that when things connect and then suddenly drop connection some number of minutes later that it's WiFi related. Perhaps try a direct wired connection into your Internet router and see if problem persists. If problem goes away, then it's time for an updated WiFi device which does not DROP AND RESET THE CONNECTION SO frequently.

for example, I was losing ssh connnections 4-6 times a day until I swapped out the old 802.11a/b/g router for a newer 802.11n router. Now I almost never lose an ssh connection.

Ben

At 12:09 PM 6/20/2011, you wrote:
Hi Ken,
I have Norton antivirus on my home computer but I thought it was free. Is there a free version and a pay version. Also could that be the problem with my ability to remote from my home computer to my work computer. We now have it so I can get into my work computer but it disconnects me after about 2 to 5 minutes. So far I have tech support here at work and it has been escolated at Freedom Scientific and we still haven't been able to solve the problem. Anyone have any ideas what could be going on?
Thanks

Brent Neal
140 E 300 S
Salt Lake City, UT 84111

Programmer
Phone:  801.526.9797
Email:  <mailto:bneal@xxxxxxxx>bneal@xxxxxxxx
>>> "Ken Perry" <whistler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 6/19/2011 9:43 PM >>>

I hate to put my two cents in but what the hell everyone loves to hate me
anyway.  I have went away from all pay virus checkers because.... Wait for
it.   They suck!!!!  It's interesting to me that the only virus checkers I
have ever got a virus from are pay ones.  two of which are Norton and McFee
both were running as their most up to date and highest priorities.  well
since I have went to Microsoft Windows Live onecare now called Microsoft
Security essentials.  I only had one hick up and it corrected itself.  Not
only that but I know a business that switched from just using pay virus
checkers to adding Microsoft security essentials in at the end because it
actually caught things at the end of three virus checker passes by different
virus scanning companies.

Anyway as much as I don't like some of the way Microsoft does things at
least this time they seem to have gotten something right.  Not only right
but free.

Ken