Re: helping out the community

  • From: "John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 17:14:42 -0500

BrailleBlaster is a desktop application written in Java that uses the
liblouis and liblouisutdml libraries, which are written in C, to produce
properly translated and formatted braille in many languages and braille
codes. it has special features for math and graphics. By design, it is
friendly to both blind and sighted users, to both beginners and advanced
users. It supports many embossers and braille displays. Development is
still in the early stages.

John

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 11:23:15PM +0200, Florian Beijers wrote:
> Brailleblaster? I thought that was a hardware device ...what exactly does it
> do?
>
> On Apr 15, 2011, at 11:18 PM, John J. Boyer wrote:
>
> > For Java programmers, one way to help would be to join the
> > BrailleBlaster coding effort. We use SWT, which gives good accessibility
> > on all platforrms without screenreader scripts. We could probably use
> > some work on speaking contracted braille and math.
> >
> > John
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 12:44:53PM -0600, Littlefield, Tyler wrote:
> >> Hello all:
> >> I've been looking for some sort of program to release for a while, and I
> >> was curious what you all thought would be useful to the community. What
> >> kind of tool/utility are we lacking?
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Ty
> >>
> >> __________
> >> View the list's information and change your settings at
> >> //www.freelists.org/list/programmingblind
> >
> > --
> > John J. Boyer; President, Chief Software Developer
> > Abilitiessoft, Inc.
> > http://www.abilitiessoft.com
> > Madison, Wisconsin USA
> > Developing software for people with disabilities

Abilitiessoft, Inc.
http://www.abilitiessoft.com
Madison, Wisconsin USA