Re: Ubuntu Hardee losing speech

  • From: Daniel Dalton <d.dalton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind programming <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 16:41:39 +1000 (EST)

Hi Fred,

On Wed, 14 May 2008, Fred Rains wrote:

  At this point I am not sure I know enough about Ubuntu to answer all your

No worries.

questions. When I look under the speech system combo in the Orca preferences, it only says Gnome speech services. I think it is just Orca

So that is what is selected by default?
If so sd isn't the problem.

Actually, lots of people are seeing this on other lists too. So I should probably do some research... (And test my installed ubuntu, I tend to use debian.)

crashing and not Gnome. I tried pressing alt F2 and typing Orca the last time I lost speech and that worked. I have not installed Speakup, and I

Yep, there is a problem with either: a sound lib, orca, the synth driver or anything else that controls orca speech from orca to the soundcard; its not gnome.

don't think it comes preinstalled, so I am guessing I have no console screen reader.

It does not, however, it requires you to patch a kernel.
If you like you can use my kernel and install it with:
dpkg -i <mykernel>

(Let me know if you want it)
Or if you read braille and have a braille display, you could use brltty:
apt-get install brltty
(as root)

Good luck,

--