Re: The top three big problems: Better Speech Reading

  • From: Veli-Pekka Tätilä <vtatila@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 19:48:08 +0300

Hi Marlon,
Agreed, there should be a clear indication that this interpreted output
is in fact not what's actually on screen. Perhaps a voice different from
the main code voice could tell you that.

Oddly I don't mind so much in programming but as far as screen readers
go, I find it highly annoying that a screen reader augments the keyboard
interface for an app, reformats and rewraps HTMl on the fly etc... and
then really doesn't tell you this is something out of the ordinary, and
a screen reader dependent mode. Just think of Jaws's HTMl formatting or
the document reader in Supernova.

But maybe this is because I also use a bit of magnification, and in
examining ordinary text, I want to see the visual layout as intendded
for the sighted, too. If I need a pure text representation, I always
copy paste HTML to a text editor and regexp search there. But this is
getting OT.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~vtatila