re: Making Screen Shots Without Beang Able To See The Screen Shots

  • From: Alex Midence <alex.midence@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 08:33:01 -0600

Hi, Jim,

I do this every single day.  Every day!  I use a program by tech smith
called snagIt.  It's not too expensive, I hear.  It's paid for by the
company so I can't say that for sure.  Anyway, when you have it
running, you do the following:

Set input to active window
Set output to clipboard
Find preferences and set it so there's a sound when capturing begins and ends

Once you have it set up, you use the hotkey which is control shift alt
p whenever you are on a window of any kind in any app of which you
wish to take a screen shot.  You will then be in snagit's image
preview page.  Press enter once again and the image is in your
clipboard as a bmp file.  Alt tab to excel, word, or powerpoint ( I
use this lots in powerpoint) and just paste it where you want it.  I
have the play sounds option set in ms office 2007 which plays a sound
whenever a paste is successful.  I then arrow to the image and go into
the context menu.  I find the size dialog and go in there to the page
on setting an alt tag.  This way, I always know when I am on the
image.

Hope this helps.  I would have a difficult time at work if I couldn't
do screen shots for my trainees all of whom are sighted.

Regards,
Alex M

Jim Wrote:
Hi,
I've been asked  to do this. Does anyone know of a fool-proof way?
Here's the scenario.
1. Go to a web page.
2. Find a defect.
3. Take screen shot of the area.
4. Paste into Excel.

As an example, I was able to spot a group of out of context links by
sorting the JAWS Links List dialog in alphabetical order. Five links
said the same thing.

Thanks.

Jim

Jim Homme,
Usability Services,
Phone: 412-544-1810. Skype: jim.homme
Internal recipients,  Read my accessibility
blog<http://mysites.highmark.com/personal/lidikki/Blog/default.aspx>.
Discuss accessibility
here<http://collaborate.highmark.com/COP/technical/accessibility/default.aspx>.
Accessibility Wiki: Breaking news and accessibility
advice<http://collaborate.highmark.com/COP/technical/accessibility/Accessibility%20Wiki/Forms/AllPages.aspx>