Fw: Graphical search engine can extract information from illustrations in resea

  • From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 07:29:30 -0400

Hi,
The below information may be useful.

----- Forwarded by James D Homme/Contractor/Highmark on 10/02/2008 07:28 AM
-----

             "George
             Ioannidis"
             <gi@xxxxxxxxxx>                                            To
             Sent by:                  w3c-wai-ig@xxxxxx
             w3c-wai-ig-reques                                          cc
             t@xxxxxx                  "David Crombie"
                                       <dcrombie@xxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                   Subject
             10/02/2008 06:21          Re: Graphical search engine can
             AM                        extract information from
                                       illustrations in resea

Dear All,

in this context also previous work, we did when I was at the
University Bremen especially targeting blind users, may be useful to
look on:

a) Automated interpretation and accessible presentation of technical
diagrams for blind people
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1117667&dl=GUIDE&coll=GUIDE&CFID=4714959&CFTOKEN=14063806

(Unfortunately only the abstract is available there, but related work
is also under:
http://forte.fh-hagenberg.at/Project-Homepages/Blindenhund/conferences/granada/papers/HORSTMANN/horstmann.html
)

and

b) Semantic Access to Graphical Web Ressources for Blind Users
http://iswc2004.semanticweb.org/posters/PID-YIHSOXCY-1090249595.pdf

One result of this work was the establishment of an online service at:
http://www.kinf.wiai.uni-bamberg.de/research/projects/TeBUB/is/index.html
  that I have to admit is no longer maintained. But we are now seeking
to formalise this in the framework of the EUAIN project (
http://www.euain.org
). This project organises a conference on "Adaptive Content
Processing" later this year that is worth considering too. More
details of the conference at: http://www.euain.org/acp08.

Best
George