Re: Any tips for VS in a few areas?

  • From: "RicksPlace" <ofbgmail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 05:04:16 -0400

I think you can make the debugger work but I do not use it. I use a simple
TextFile logger with a static WriteLine method to trace logic flow and display
variables in complex logic. That way I can print out the entry point of a Sub
or Function, any tracing of variables inside it and have a hard copy of what is
going on during complex processing, loops and all that jazz. Then I will print
a blurb when I reach an exit point for the block being tested. I also use
simple message boxes to display several points in a logic block and any
critical variable names and values during testing for a quick peek at what is
going on. If you learn to use the debugger well, write up a article on how to
do it and post it up as that might be a faster method of debugging but I don't
know if that is the case using a screen reader. I think it is more complete if
you learn to use it and all it's potentials.
Finally, if you are working in VWD you need to either get or create your own
logger, print, utility and a Message Box utility that uses the JavaScript
built-in Alert Box. I have 2 utilities I use for writing to a text file and
displaying user messages in VWD.
Also there are some good hot keys to help you get some things done like being
able to collapse blocks of code with ctrl+m+m, it will also expand it. It works
in the HTML Markup Editor of VWD but I'm not sure about the other code editors.
you can select blocks of code, collapsed or not, and do block level changes on
the code, you can use ctrl+alt+t to get into outline mode and then cursor to a
item in the list and ctrl+shift+f10 to open it's Smart Tag or other such dialog
if there is one. I use that in place of having to find controls on the VWD
Designer. When in the Code View, in VWD, for a page youcan use ctrl+f2 to bring
up a 2 Dropdown Lists. The first is a list of all the objects on the page and
the second has all the events you can use to work with a selected object. This
comes in handy when coding the ppage code-behind and you do not want to switch
into the designer and open the properties window to pick an event for something
like a button or complex asp control.Again, I do not know if that will work in
the VB or CSharp language packs.  What is it  you are interested in doing?
Those are the most handy ones I can think of that most new programmers don't
know about or use. Again these are VWD hot keys so you would have to try them
out in vb or CSharp if you are working in them. When you say you are working in
VS that is a big program with diferent interfaces, although they look the same
for the most part, based on which language you are working in.
Rick USA
Rick USA