RE: Any news on 64Bit Scrfeen Reader

  • From: "Chris Hofstader" <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 08:29:27 -0400

There are betas of Serotek System Access and their no cost "To Go" version
that run on 64 bit Vista, I don't know about the different versions of
Windows servers though.  The libertyware NVDA also runs in 64 bit Vista but
I don't know much more about its status right now.

I'd recommend giving both of these a try as, at zero dollars per unit, the
price is definitely right.   I'm not sure if either of these possible
solutions are robust enough, though, to provide you with an adequate level
of support for your job.

Employees at both FS and GW have told me that they are working on the
problem but, as I predicted in a recent blog post, their dependence on low
level hooking and undocumented hacks will cause them to take a bit longer to
get the code fixed.  FS and GW may also require one to pay for the upgrade
which is probably not a problem for someone in a professional environment.

Happy Hacking,
cdh

Chris Hofstader
CUNY, BSO, ATG, Odds and Ends