Re: Announcing Stash

  • From: "Marlon Brandão de Sousa" <splyt.lists@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 11:01:22 -0300

Hello Jamal,
for me it's still unclear what this software does exactly. It will
allow a file to be read only when it is in the computer where it was
created?
If it doesn not require a password and it's open source, anyone who
knows the source code could decript a file?
Thank you very much,
Marlon

2008/10/8, Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Now available at
> http://EmpowermentZone.com/stash.zip
>
> Stash
> Version 1.0
> October 8, 2008
> Copyright 2008 by Jamal Mazrui
> LGPL license
>
> Stash is a set of console-mode, command-line utilities for encrypting and
> decrypting text.  Requiring the .NET Framework 2.0 (or above), the three
> utilities are sh.exe, Stash.exe, and Unstash.exe.  They work as follows.
>
> sh Text
> where Text is a sequence of characters to encrypt, e.g., a password.  If
> it contains one or more space characters, then surrounding quotes should
> be used.  The result is a file called sh (no extension) in the current
> directory.  This file encrypts the text in such a way that it is
> considered secure from being read on any computer besides the one on which
> it was created.
>
> If sh.exe is run without a command-line parameter, it looks for a file
> called sh in the current directory, decrypts it, and sends the text to
> standard output.  This output would be visible in a console window.
> Alternatively, another program may run the utility and capture its
> standard output.
>
> The other utilities provide more flexibility and work as a pair.
>
> Stash SourceFile TargetFile
>
> or
>
> Unstash SourceFile TargetFile
>
> Stash.exe encryptes text contained in SourceFile, creating TargetFile as
> the result.  Unstash.exe does the reverse, decrypting SourceFile and
> putting its text in TargetFile.  If either file name contains a space,
> surrounding quotes should be used.
>
> The Stash utilities are open source, with code in the language of Visual
> Basic 2005.  Under the license, derivative works must likewise be open
> source.  If only the binary executables are being used, however,
> redistributing the source code is not necessary.
>
> Note that information saved by Stash may be read by someone else who has
> access to the same computer and knowledge of the technique.  Stash offers
> high protection only when the file is copied to another computer.

free."
Linus Torvalds