[program-l] subprograms was ...Re: Thinking About Objects Again

  • From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 18:25:42 -0700

Hi Jim,

I have been thinking about your subprogram example in Cobol.  I know a little
Cobol, but have never actually worked in it, and I think from my perspective
that you are exactly right.  Subprograms are just like objects in many ways.
They both have private data and some internal procedures to process that data.

Now days Cobol programmers probably use objects to do the same things.  I
suspect the subprograms you saw were required because of internal memory
restrictions on computers years ago.  A subprogram could be swapped in and out
of memory quickly in a large system

Richard