[program-l] XML Topic Maps

  • From: "Will Pearson" <will-pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 22:37:34 -0000

Hi,

I just came across this great Channel 9 web cast.  It's on applied topic maps,
and if you don't know what topic maps are then I'd highly recommend checking it
out.

To give you a quick intro, topic maps are a way of expressing strongly typed
relationships between topics, and topics can be pretty much anything.  They're
a great way of expressing conceptual knowledge and relating it to the
attributes that represent those concepts.  So, they have many, many, many uses
if you are dealing with data.

You can find the webcast at:
http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=150161

Also, there's a web site explaining XML topic maps at:
http://www.xtm.org
(Note: it's been a few years since I last looked at this site.  Hopefully it's
still there.)

Topic maps also have some great applications in accessibility.  For example,
I'm using one in a spare time research project investigating generating
automatic description for video sequences.

So, I'd highly recommend seeing what they're all about.

Will