[program-l] Re: Latest Ubuntu and accessibility.

  • From: Alex Midence <alex.midence@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 09:08:51 -0500

Hi, Nick,

You may wish to look at a test system of Ubuntu 11.04 before you jump
in.  Yes, it uses Classic Gnome if you select it but I have come
across many postings where people have had trouble making stuff work
for accessibility.  YOu may wish to look into a merging of a Vinux
system and a 11.04 system.  See if you can get yourself a user account
configured a la Vinux for your own use and  leave everyone else's
account as stock Ubuntu.  Surely you can have your own settings, yes?
I don't think the libraries are all that different for Vinux, you may
wish to ask on the list.  There are a few packages stock Ubuntu
doesn't have like the audio book reader and such but that should not
prevent you from being able to use it.  If you don't like the package,
just sudo apt-get remove it.  Anyway, just thought I'd put a bug in
your ear over that one.  NO sense creating  hairy situations for
yourself if there's a work-around, ay?

Have a good day,
Alex M