[program-l] Interpreting the file header

  • From: "Ian D. Nichols" <inich@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 19:45:55 -0500

Hi Listers,

Many years ago I experimented with a project that read information from the
header of a DOS .exe file.  I had a resource book that told me at what offset
the various items of information were stored.  It also pointed out that the
layout of the header of a .exe file for Windows was quite different, but did
not go into detail.

  Now I would like to go into the file header again, this time for Windows
executables.  I have been looking at a file mapping API, but couldn't really
figure what it was all about, or even whether it was what I really wanted.

  Could anyone offer information on this, or point me to some good, accessible
information?

  As always, any ideas will be gratefully received.

  All the Best.

  Ian

  Ian D. Nichols,
  Toronto, Canada