[program-l] Re: How did you guys learn mathematics efficiently?

  • From: QuentinC <quentinc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2016 08:08:41 +0200

Hello all,

Personally I don't mind not having jaws translating from LaTeX formulas to human readable text; that's mostly a question of habits. I did all my studies in that way and it never caused problems to me. I don't mind this probably because I'm used to programming in a pair of languages, and LaTeX is, after all, just another programming language. I'm still 2 or 3 times slower than sighted people of course.

But if you need the transformation from LaTeX to human readable form, i.e. translate \sqrt{\frac{x}{2}} into square root of x over 2, I think that MathPlayer does a pretty good job. It also seems that MathPlayer + MathType for word is working quite well if you go back and forth between LaTeX notation and MathType graphical form.
Some time ago, I saw a jaws script to make also this kind of translation; unfortunately I don't remember the name of the thing.

It's just sad that MathML isn't more widely used on web pages. The math equation viewer of Jaws 16+ also does a pretty good job in making math readable. I especially hope that wikipedia and wikibooks will switch to MatML, because they are not so bad sources to learn math and physics otherwise.

I'm also interested in learning a bit of machine learning. Though personally, I would prefer have a course that first present the thing in a practical fashion, i.e. solving a simple game like tic tac toe with neuronal network, or write a dummy anti-spam program based on bayesian learning, just with at least theory as possible, and only then dive into what's going under the hood with the hard maths; in short, being first of all ludic and have fun, in the opposite of classical university courses we all already have or have had.

Similarely, another course on signal processing exclusively focused on audio could also be very interesting. Usual courses mix both video/photo and audio processing in parralel, what makes the thing quite difficult to learn for us.

** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following link:-
** [mailto:program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe]
** If this link doesn't work then send a message to:
** program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
** and in the Subject line type
** unsubscribe
** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click on the
** immediately-following link:-
** [mailto:program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq]
** or send a message, to
** program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq