[program-l] Re: HTML5 book

  • From: Mike Fox <mfox32322@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 19:15:16 -0400

One of my personal favorites for specifically HTML5 stuff is "HTML5
rocks!". It's all text-based so any references to Here or There are
accessible. I like that they take you through the new APIs in a way that
is more like a tutorial, without getting into how it all works in native
code (which seems to be the case with W3C specs - all this talk about
implementing interfaces and obscure references to classes I've never heard
of, like we're writing Java or C++, LOL). I've found it to be very
practical, making a lot of sense and really showing you what an API can
do. Here's the link: http://www.html5rocks.com/

But anyway, apart from that w3schools is good, as others have pointed out.
Another is "WebMonkey", the site where I originally learned HTML ten years
ago. It's still actively maintained, of course, and it's got some great
articles and other stuff in addition to tutorials. The link to that is
http://www.webmonkey.com/

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 5:13 PM, Walker, Michael E <
michael.e.walker3@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In my opinion, HTML is not complicated enough to really require a book;
learning it from a few online resources should be sufficient. Now, I can
see where a book can be necessary for someone learning a programming
language for the first time, since books present examples like rolling
dice, guessing numbers, or calculating prime numbers that tutorials may
not. A tutorial may explain a loop by counting to ten in it, where a book
might do more real-world things like what I mentioned with the prime
numbers. HTML is nowhere near that complex.

Michael E. Walker

Work: (314) 563-6501

Email: Michael.E.Walker3@xxxxxxxxxx