[program-l] Re: File conversion

  • From: "Steve Jacobson" <steve.jacobson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 13:04:34 -0500

Eileen,

When you opened this file in UltraEdit, it probably brought the file up in
"hex" mode because of the number of unitentifiable characters.  Try bringing
the file up again
and press CONTROL-H to force hex mode off.  This won't fix the file by itself,
but it might make the results more readable.  If this works, then you can
figure out if the
data you need is still there.  The example you gave is probably not really a
short row.  It also appears to be hexadecimal representations of the
characters, and it is
common for such codes to be displayed in groups of sixteen.  Therefore, if you
bring this file up in UltraEdit, it is possible that it will display the
contents in very long
rows.  You can force UltraEdit to wrap long lines so the content all fits onto
your screen by pressing CONTROL-W.  If you need to do this, the line won't be
broken
where it was before, but you will have an easier time seeing it.

If all of the above helps, you may still not have a file that is very useable,
but we might be able to figure out if the data can be salvaged.  The fact that
a search for
the name gets a match is somewhat encouraging.  There could be a pattern to the
corruption that can be largely corrected by Ultraedit.  Being a long-time user
of
UltraEdit, I might be able to make suggestions if we know more.

Do you remember if there was an event after which you noticed this problem,
such as a forced shutdown or a computer hangup?  Most programs don't change a
file
permanently without requiring you to save it, or they may make a backup copy
first.  You might also try doing a file search for files containing a name that
you know is
there, but this will take a long time.  Also, check to see if you have a copy
in your recycle bin.  From what you have said, this is not likely, but it is
worth a check.
Also try a file search for files that have part of the file name as part of
their name.  Some programs make backups in case of a crash and replace the
first character
with a special character, for example.  If you know when the file went bad, you
could search for files created on that date or just before in case that happens
to find
a backup file of some kind.  Microsoft Word makes backups in some cases, for
example and some other programs do as well.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 08:59:25 -0700, Lafond, Eileen wrote:

>I tried it in TextPad and UltraEdit.  In UltraEdit it at least recognized
>actual names when I did a find, but when I tried to actually read the name in
>the row, it was
jibberish.

>I tried putting it in Word and almost brought the computer to it's knees as it
>is such a large file and it was jibberish.

>No, I don't have a backup.

>Eileen La Fond
>Phone (206) 386-0011
>e.mail Eileen.LaFond@xxxxxxxxxxx

lines.  I then closed it and opened it in TextPad.  It is now jibberish when it
used to be words.