[program-l] Re: Book Review

  • From: Edward Przybylek <przy5100@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:23:17 -0500

Hi Jamal,

It either works with blocked documents or I've just never tried to OCR a blocked document. I've been able to convert everything I've tried.

Take care,
Ed Przybylek
At 10:39 AM 3/22/2005, you wrote:
Hi Edward,
I have done OCR conversion of image-only PDFs using the PDF Magic
program, and plan to compare results soon with Omni Page Pro.  My
understanding, however, is that this method generally does not allow
access to PDFs with security settings that block text extraction.  Have
you found that you can use this technique on PDFs that block text
extraction or screen reader access within Adobe Reader?

Jamal

-----Original Message----- From: program-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:program-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Edward Przybylek Sent: Monday, March 21, 2005 7:25 PM To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [program-l] Re: Book Review

Hi Jamal,

Have you ever tried scanning directly from the pdf file?  This is a
feature
offered by OmniPage Pro and I'm told by some other OCR software.  I find
it
produces a more accurate scan than going through a scanner.

Take care,
Ed Przybylek

At 10:39 AM 3/21/2005, you wrote:
>Hi Will,
>Is the electronic version of the book a PDF?  If so, does it definately

>permit screen reader access?  I've been burned with a couple of
purchases
>of books lately that had security settings that locked me out
completely,
>and I tried various PDF extraction tools.
>
>In one case, I was able to print the book, and may scan parts of it,
>ironically, to achieve accessible text.  Another PDF not only blocked
>exporting to text, copying to the clipboard, and screen reader access,
but
>even printing as well.  The only way I was able to read it was with a
>sighted assistant who read sections of it from the screen in Adobe
Reader!

>Regards,
>Jamal

BizTalk

** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following link:- ** [mailto:program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe] ** If this link doesn't work then send a message to: ** program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ** and in the Subject line type ** unsubscribe ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click on the ** immediately-following link:- ** [mailto:program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq] ** or send a message, to ** program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq