[procps] Re: libprocs redesign?

  • From: Jaromir Capik <jcapik@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 12:25:00 -0400 (EDT)

> Hello all,

Hello Davide.

> I had followed with great interest the thread about the new counter
> 'memAvailable' in procps.
> It's now also integrated in my nagios-plugins-linux
> <https://github.com/madrisan/nagios-plugins-linux> project :)
>
> You can find in lib/ some files (procparser.c, meminfo.c vminfo.c), that
> can also be considered (with the corresponding header files) as a PoC for
> implementing the new libproc as described in the wiki.
> Is the libprocs redesign still in the development pipe?
> I would like to participate in this task, perhaps with some little
> coaching... ;)
> just to be sure to follow the right direction.

I'm not sure what you mean by redesign. We're doing that
all the time / continuously :]
If I understand that correctly, you copied the procps source code
to nagios and moved the common code performing the search to
a separate function. Are there any other changes we should look at?

I have few questions and please, don't take that
as an offense or hostile behavior...

1.) Instead of copying the code to your own modules, you could
use the libprocps library directly. I'm curious, why you decided
to go that way. From the development perspective copying snippets
of code is considered undesirable and it is quite discouraged
in the open source community as it doesn't honor the effort
of the original authors and has a negative impact on the software
evolution. I don't care about credits, but I do care about the
software evolution. Can I understand your email as an intention
to drop the nagios vmstat/meminfo modules and migrate nagios
to libprocps ?

2.) You apparently re-licensed the original LGPLv2+ code under
the GPLv3+, but I don't see the GPLv3+ in the compatibility
matrix for LGPLv2+. The table only shows GPLv3 conversion
as allowed. I would have to ask our Legal Department to
get a clarification whether also future GPL versions are
permitted when you re-license code from GPLv2+. But at the moment
your modules might be a subject of unauthorized re-licensing.
Are you really really sure your licensing notices in the headers
are unobjectionable?

Please, let me know.

Regards,
Jaromir.

--
Jaromir Capik
Red Hat Czech, s.r.o.

Email: jcapik@xxxxxxxxxx
Web: www.cz.redhat.com
Red Hat Czech s.r.o., Purkynova 99/71, 612 45, Brno, Czech Republic
IC: 27690016