[procps] Re: cpuset-aware top

  • From: Jim Warner <james.warner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 13:09:56 -0500

On Jun 12, 2013, at 7:37 AM, emanuele lombardi <emanuele.lombardi@xxxxxxx>
wrote:
> My server has 128 cores and I "split" it into cpusets to isolate the workload.
> I need to monitor the usage of any single cpuset, not the system as a whole.
>
> I'd like a "top" monitoring only the processors/memories belonging to a given
> cpuset and showing percentages on the number of processors and memories
> belonging to the cpuset, not on the system total.
>
> Do you think it is possible to add "top" a parameter which is the cpuset
> name?
>
> Thank you very much from Italy,

Hi Emanuele,

I wish I could offer some hope that top could soon provide a cpuset limited
view.  Unfortunately, our current library offers only a system-wide perspective.

Redesigning that library is on the drawing board.  Perhaps that redesign could
also offer a choice of "context" (cpuset, control group, numa node, etc.) and
thereby achieve your goal.

In the meantime, the 3.3.8 version of top offers an "Other filter" feature.
That could be used to limit process display to only those in a given cpuset
without too much difficulty.

Anyway, thank you for your request.  I've added it to my wish list.

Regards,

Jim