[procps] Re: RFE: sysctl list/set default for key

  • From: Jaromir Capik <jcapik@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 08:59:30 -0400 (EDT)

Hi James.

> On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 02:23:39AM -0700, James Patterson wrote:
> > It would be useful to have an option for sysctl to list or set the
> > default value for a given key.
> This would only be useful if there was a way for sysctl to find the
> default option from the kernel and as far as I know there is not. What
> we certainly will not be doing is having these values hard-coded in
> sysctl. There is enough "pick the number" games with the Debian package
> alone for some keys already.

James, I've reassigned your feature request (rhbz#974873)
to the kernel team. I fully agree with Craig. Hardcoding
the values in the code or maintaining a table of default
values is impossible. The default values can differ between
the particular kernel versions and some of them can even
depend on the kernel configuration.
The kernel needs to offer a way of reading the defaults.

Well, one way of doing this job exists even without
changing the kernel. You could export all the values
with 'sysctl -a' to some file (prior doing any changes)
and then read all/any of them back by doing a shell magic
on top of the file and loading the values back with
'sysctl -p'.

I know this way is not so flexible, but you can achieve
the requested behaviour. But maybe you've already tried
that and don't like this way? Please, let us know.

Regards,
Jaromir.