[procps] Re: backporting

  • From: Sami Kerola <kerolasa@xxxxxx>
  • To: procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 19:29:05 +0100

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 18:58, Jim Warner <james.warner@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Jim et.al.

> First off, I want to apologize for failing to appreciate your
> backport branch.  My initial reaction was based on the two patches
> you made to top, which were later deleted.  Judging by what Craig
> has now incorporated, both your and Craig's efforts were truly
> Herculean.

The back patching was easy part. Conflict resolution after it seems
far from trivial.  I must advice against long living branches.  More
than month and/or 25 patches is about maximum you want to deal.  The
exact problem is that if something changes before merge resolving all
conflicts becomes unnecessary burden.  At least now I know not to
repeat this mistake.

> As for the NLS changes, I just did a quick build and review of the
> template file.  It seems much improved.
>
> Way back when, I thought xgettext did a poor job of combining
> duplicate strings.  However, I was mistaken.  He not only combines
> strings but he combines 'Translation' notes as well possibly
> creating some confusion.
>
> Here's an example:
>  #. Translation Hint: max 17 chars
>  #. Translation Hint: max 8 chars
>  #: pmap.c:281 pmap.c:290
>  msgid "total kB"
>  msgstr ""

Good catch.  Corrected in nls-old branch...

https://gitorious.org/~kerolasa/procps/sami-procps-ng/commit/57d2093f1ad386e1ec33bce2a5b4d4c4cbf7d673

...which I will convert to nls & nls-top branches, that I hope to get
(finally) merged.

--
   Sami Kerola
   http://www.iki.fi/kerolasa/