[procps] Re: backporting

  • From: Jim Warner <james.warner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 11:58:08 -0600

On Dec 17, 2011, at 1:13 PM, Sami Kerola wrote:

> I hope this change fixes most of the header issues.
>
> https://gitorious.org/~kerolasa/procps/sami-procps-ng/commit/4a05fd327bc0c1dec93c32c1d961a2494e570acc
>
> The true test what in NLS works is still to come; the translation
> test.

Hi Sami,

First off, I want to apologize for failing to appreciate your backport branch.
My initial reaction was based on the two patches you made to top, which were
later deleted.  Judging by what Craig has now incorporated, both your and
Craig's efforts were truly Herculean.

As for the NLS changes, I just did a quick build and review of the template
file.  It seems much improved.

Way back when, I thought xgettext did a poor job of combining duplicate
strings.  However, I was mistaken.  He not only combines strings but he
combines 'Translation' notes as well possibly creating some confusion.

Here's an example:
  #. Translation Hint: max 17 chars
  #. Translation Hint: max 8 chars
  #: pmap.c:281 pmap.c:290
  msgid "total kB"
  msgstr ""

> The libproc-ng should not contain project private functions, such as
> xmalloc.  My reasons are;

I'm becoming a believer too now that I can no longer think of the library as
"our own".

I'll try to get some guidance from Craig on how best to approach the desired
changes.

Regards,
Jim