[pradjs] Re: basic fix on the board

  • From: Wink Junior <winkjunior@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pradjs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 13:50:59 -0800

I'd like to suggest everyone thank Mike for being so devoted to
keeping PRA up and running, on a shoe-string budget, and at great
expense to his limited personal time. Yaaaay Mike!

Geek out notes: it was a capacitor for the monitors / speakers that
had come loose and had to be re-soldered. Reading the schematics,
there are two in series for each mono channel, for the left and right
monitors each. They are prime suspects for the continued mild hum.

The other possible cause of the hum might be fixed by adding some kind
of power-conditioning to the board, which I am researching.

If anyone knows of a non-battery/UPS power conditioner that's reliable
and affordable, please let us know!

Lastly, the loose part was an AC-to-DC step up/down converter, not a
battery. :)  There are three on the power supply, to run the CUE
signal, the MONITOR signal, and the MAIN output from the board, all of
which put out different levels.

Unfortunately, the board is currently set up to run the MAIN and
MONITOR off the one MONITOR output, which means the new speakers could
not get enough power. Tthe old ones, which are powered monitors, had
to be put back in (the new ones could barely produce bass because the
woofers require a lot of power.)

I'd like to address this and put back in the new monitors at some
point - unless (!!) a majority of people prefer the old ones? If so,
let me know so I can get back the new ones and put them to use in my
house! :)

Even more lastly than the last, there are currently *NO* headphones in
the station, since they were both broken, so if you use headphones for
your show, please remember to bring your own!

I will be fixing up at least two sets to have there permanently, but I
don't have a lot of spare time right now; hopefully soon but can't
promise when.

Cheers, Wink

--
Cheers, Wink