[powerdot] powerdot vs latex-beamer

  • From: "Julian Dibbelt" <powerdot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: powerdot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 11:53:13 +0200

Hi all,

I'm currently switching from PowerPoint to a LaTeX-based slide class
but I can't tell which one to use. As often in the OSS-world I'm left
wondering why there are so many different solutions.
I have learned so far that powerdot supersedes prosper and HA-prosper,
but my search for "beamer vs powerdot" left me empty-handed. Both
projects seem to have been equally inactive over the last one and a
half years (though beamer had a minor bug fix release this year).
Powerdot uses PSTricks, but pst-pdf or ps4pdf should do the same for
beamer.

I've read in this list's archive that users were switching from beamer
to powerdot. Is there a good reason to or is it just personal
preference?

I'm not looking for lengthy input because I could always just evaluate
both classes. I'm just wondering if there is an obvious reason to use
one or the other.

Thanks a lot,

 Julian Dibbelt