[pov] Re: Great photo by anonymous photographer

  • From: Rondi Lightmark <lightmark1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 07:54:26 -0700

The other lesson is, if you take a really great photo, some people will rip it off, and others will really want

to know who took it.

Great sleuthing, John!

On Oct 25, 2011, at 7:49 AM, John Sage wrote:

On 11-10-24 05:43 PM, Rondi Lightmark wrote:

I was very intrigued by "anonymous photographer" since this (to my eye, anyway) looks like it was shot by a professional -- someone who might actually care about what happens to their photos.

First off there's nothing but the most generic information in the EXIF data. Dead end there.

OK. By the bill it's a pigeon or a dove. Off to iBird Explorer; it's not a North American pigeon.

OK, so: it's clearly got what I'd call an "orange breast". Off to Google.

Google "orange-breasted pigeon".

Hit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange-breasted_Green_Pigeon

OK: Google Images for "orange-breasted pigeon".

Hits. The specific image is down about seven rows, at least at the moment I did the search.

Link to:

http://animalworld.tumblr.com/post/4720524840/orange-breasted-green- pigeon-and-chicks-treron

"Reblogged from 123zero"

"123ZERO-TUMBLR
I reblog absorbed in the interval of work..."

So 123Zero probably got the image somewhere else...

Back at http://animalworld.tumblr.com/post/4720524840/orange- breasted-green-pigeon-and-chicks-treron

"ORANGE BREASTED GREEN PIGEON and Chicks (Treron bicincta) - ©Rik Seet"

©Rik Seet links to:

http://pixdaus.com/single.php?id=284621

but there's nothing about "Rik Seet" here, apparently the image was really posted by "jchip8"

Comments addressed to "jchip8":

"Postings of pictures taken from the internet without any comment of what/where/when should be banned. This becomes a child playground for morons who want to post as much as possible."

and

"don't you think that 708 pics in 25 days is too much ?? do you really think people like your pics, you do not even have 50% of popular pics.
Pixdaus please, stop this masive posters !!"

A compulsive photo thief. So, dead end.

Googling for "Rik Seet" or "Rik Seet photographer" turns up only references back to this one image. So, dead end.

Anyway. Interesting.

I guess this is why I watermark all the images I put up anywhere, and am moving toward including full EXIF data, at least as far as ownership and copyright goes...

- John
--
John Sage
FinchHaven Digital Photography