[pov] Re: EOS 5D main mirror detachment, was Re: Canon Equipment Sale

  • From: John Sage <jsage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 09:34:16 -0800

Randy Green wrote:
I have a 5D that I got in February that started locking up & displaying an Error 20 message [mechanical malfunction]. I sent it to Canon & it was there for just under a week. They repaired it & sent it right back, so it was gone for a total of about 10 or 11 days. They were pretty prompt, I thought.

The note from the repair facility said that a cam gear had come loose & they replaced it.

Now I only hope they reinforced the mirror while it was there!

Other than this, it's a superb camera, BTW.

Yeah, I've been very happy with my 5D...

:-/

You can check to see if they've done the mirror reinforcement by pulling the lens and looking for two little brackets that are installed on the left and right edges of the mirror, see:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=PgComSmModDisplayAct&fcategoryid=215&modelid=11933&keycode=2112&id=55659

although this may be one of those "if it ain't broke we ain't gonna fix it" deals...

Regards,

- John
--
John Sage