[platypus-dev] Re: Accepting dropped files and writing new files - Has anything changed since October?

  • From: Bruce Johnson <johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: platypus-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 11:25:42 -0700

On Dec 14, 2012, at 7:17 AM, Lenny P. Robert <lenny.p.robert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Watch your system log when you run this it'll probably give you clues to
>> what's happening.
>
> Thanks, there are two entries that I can reproducibly trigger:
>
> (1) When launching my new application by dropping a file onto it:
>
>       "Dock: no information back from LS about running process"
>
> This is not shown when I drag a file onto the already-running application or
> when I launch the application just by itself. Googling this message
> associates it with a bug in the download-quarantine bit that prevents
> applications from launching and/or a bug in the sandboxing feature.
>
> As my October version does not trigger that message this should be a clue.
> But my application is launching and the suggested solution to set the
> executable attribute via "sudo chmod +x name-of-application", expectedly,
> does not change anything nor does looking for an extended attribute
> quarantine bit (on My-App/Contents/MacOS/My-App via xattr) finds anything.

This does sounds like something that would pop up after updating to Mountain
Lion; Apple significantly strengthened these things. Sadly, that's about as far
as my knowledge takes me.

One way to test this MIGHT be to alter your security settings in System
Preferences>Security&Privacy > General; you have the choice of Mac App
store,Mac App Store and signed apps, anywhere.

Another thing to do is alter your script to write to a log file not STDOUT,
maybe capture something that's missing the system logs?

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona