[platypus-dev] Re: Accepting dropped files and writing new files - Has anything changed since October?

  • From: "Lenny P. Robert" <lenny.p.robert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: platypus-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 15:17:29 +0100
On 13 Dec 2012, at 16:50, Bruce Johnson <johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I am stumped, I have a Perl script that accepts files as input, reads them
>> and writes a new file (in the same folder as the original file). Used
>> Platypus to create an application that accepts dropped files.
>>
>> Last updated the Perl script six weeks ago (October), 'updated' my
>> application back then. The Perl script, run from the command line, and the
>> application created in October still work fine.
>>
>> Now, using the very same Perl script Platypus creates an application but the
>> application does, so it seems, nothing apart from launching when I drop a
>> file on the new application.
>>
>> Is there any special setting beyond the checkbox 'Accepts dropped items'? Or
>> why would what worked six weeks ago, now have stopped working? Any updates
>> to Perl, the OS, or Platypus since then (I am not 100% sure, my update to
>> Mountain Lion might have been after when Platypus last successfully created
>> the application).
>
> Watch your system log when you run this it'll probably give you clues to
> what's happening.

Thanks, there are two entries that I can reproducibly trigger:

(1) When launching my new application by dropping a file onto it:

        "Dock: no information back from LS about running process"

This is not shown when I drag a file onto the already-running application or
when I launch the application just by itself. Googling this message associates
it with a bug in the download-quarantine bit that prevents applications from
launching and/or a bug in the sandboxing feature.

As my October version does not trigger that message this should be a clue. But
my application is launching and the suggested solution to set the executable
attribute via "sudo chmod +x name-of-application", expectedly, does not change
anything nor does looking for an extended attribute quarantine bit (on
My-App/Contents/MacOS/My-App via xattr) finds anything.

(2) When quitting my application, I get:

        "Malformed Services entries in Info.plist for Service at URL
/Applications/Singular.app"

But my October version also does this, so I think this is not related to my
problem.