[phpa] Re: NEW PHP standalone compiler (was Re: [PHP-DEV] Here we try again)

  • From: Manuel Lemos <mlemos@xxxxxxx>
  • To: phpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 09:06:07 -0200

Hello Nick,

Nick Lindridge wrote:

> > Unlike other languages, there is no officially supported and affordable
> > way to sell applications in binary format, when for other languages
> > that is a trivial thing. No wonder there are so many PHP users moving
> > to the Java world.
>
> This is off topic for this group, but I would like to say that whilst you

Sorry, I thought that this initiative of providing a compiler solution
would be of your interest too.

> may be correct in your supposition that people are leaving PHP for JSP,
> it's worth noting that unencrypted Java classes are 100% decompilable back
> to source code, and I have a tool to do just that somewhere or other. So
> you're not necessarily much better off by switching to Java from a code
> protection point of view.

Personally I don't want to switch to any Java solution.

My point is that PHP is not known to have an affordable solution for
distributing applications in binary format while Java and other
languages have.

You may try to convince me how useless would be to distribute
unecrypoted bytecode PHP/Java/whatever aplication files, but you have to
admit that you hardly can convince the software developer community in
general that PHP is a better solution for protecting their closed source
developments.

This is not quite just a technical problem. It is an half-truth that
plays against PHP broader adoption against other compilable languages.

Anyway, many of us are willing to work on a united effort to revert this
situation in favour of PHP. We want believe that the best solution is to
have a free PHP solution that generates binary bytecodes that can be
distributed and run without sources, thus providing conditions for PHP
professional companies to develop and market their PHP applications,
instead of moving to another platform to make a living.

The APC people seem interested and so BWare people. Would you be
interested to join in united effort like this?

I understand that somehow you are trying to sell your PHPA solution. I
don't have anything against that and feel that it is your absolute right
to do whatever you want with the software that you develop.

However, I also see that the chances to profit for closed source
Cache/Encoder commercial solutions like yours may end up signficantly
reduced. So, I wonder if you would like to reconsider and instead of
marketing PHPA, join this effort and use it later to market other PHP
applications that you may have.

Whatever you decide, I will understand and respect, but I hope you can
see the opportunity of cooperating instead of implicitly continue to
compete.

Take care,
Manuel Lemos