[phpa] Re: Consider renaming PHP Accelerator

  • From: "PHP Accelerator" <php_accelerator@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: phpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 20:11:28 +0100

Hi Joe,

Thanks for joining the Forum!

>(1) I learned from a Zend sales rep that Zend will be releasing a product
>called "Zend Accelerator."  It will be hard to create awareness for both
>products at once.  People (like me) will get confused, and down the line
>most searches for "PHP Accelerator" on the web will likely yield hits to
>the Zend Accelerator (since they have a marketing arm).

They've released this already now. They made me aware of this a little while
before launching and it made me smile at the time. I appreciate your point
here, but I'm not planning to change the name at the moment. Partly just
because I like it, and it gets the top spot on Google (finally again ;-),
but also as I'm not trying to compete anyway.  If people find Zend and buy
that instead of trying an alternative then I'm happy for Zeev et al.  It
would be a shame, however, if people didn't find this because they thought
it was related to Zend and dismissed it as a result!  It may confuse, but
perhaps the 'Free' and 'Not Free' distinction might help.

>(2) The name "PHP Accelerator" cannot be registered as a federal trademark
>because it is purely descriptive.  There is no way to protect the name down
>the line; anybody can use the name and there's nothing you can do about it.
>  It's better to have a suggestive, an arbitrary, or a coined name (such as
>Zend).

Good points, thanks. Because it isn't a product in the commercial sense, I
haven't considered tagging a name to it so far. But putting a name on it
might be a good idea anyway in case I release some other PHP related 'bits
and pieces' that I'm looking into.

Cheers
Nick