[phpa] Congratulations

  • From: Manuel Lemos <mlemos@xxxxxxx>
  • To: phpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 00:30:39 -0200

Hello Nick,

Congratulations! I think it was brave of you to develop a cache engine
that competes with Zend Cache. Zend guys deserve to make good money from
their Zend products, but I think their pricing is a little too expensive
for most of us. So, they really needed some competition that can make
them low their prices up to something more realistic that does not make
customers be tied to them as long as they pay.

Anyway, I am willing to use your accelerator if it can satisfy my needs.

I was brought to attention to it by Tom Duffey because it uses Metabase
database abstraction package and it seems it had some problems with
if(defined()) { define(); ...} statements. I hope you can fix that soon.

As you may be aware, I am the developer of the PHP Classes repository.
It is a very busy site with 300.000 page views a month, but with it
takes 4 times more than that because shows at least 3 banners per page
served by PHPAds.

By the way, if you would like some extra promotion I may do some banner
exchange with you as I have a banner slot in my pages for banner
exchange partners. The site has over 50.000 subscribers, so it can
provide a nice promotion to compensate for your hard work. If you would
like that, feel free to mail me privately to arrange for the details.

Anyway, it seems that my server is dying once in a while because my ISP
kills tasks that take too much CPU for a long while. Some pages really
require a lot of code in there. So, I think a little compiler cache
could help.

However I have some concerns regarding stability of your cache engine.
Once you fix the problem mentioned above I will give it some tests.

Other than that, I am also concerned about usage of shared memory. What
is the average rate of shared memory that a cached script may take
compared to its original size? I had some problems in the past that
prevented me from using PostgreSQL 7 because my ISP did not allow to
have 1MB of shared memory that it needed. I think the limit is 128KB. I
don't know if this could prevent your cache engine to run proprerly.

Another thing is that I have Zend Optimizer enabled. I know that is I
use your cache engine it won't use Zend Optimizer. My question, is does
it compensate to use the cache engine without the optimizer? Do you have
any benchmarks?

Finally, I wonder what you think about developing and Zend Encoder
competitor. Is it feasable for you?

Regards,
Manuel Lemos