[phpa] Re: A suggestion

  • From: "Jonathan Chum" <jchum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <phpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 17:26:41 -0000

As a PHP developer, I find nothing too outrageous with Nick's motive with a
license key. When I started on a bulletin board script called BlazeBoard
under GPL, people have ripped off copyrights on the templates when it stated
not to in the HTML code and in the readme/install txt files.

As a result, I've retracted any future code because people twisted the code
so the copyright appears through a special parameter in the URL which no one
will know about.

As for Nick's application, PHP Accelerator gains no recognition because it's
an application that works behind the scenes. He won't be able to enforce ppl
to stick a button on sites powered by PHP Accelerator, but more voluntary.

So what does Nick get out off all this? Whining and moaning? After all this
is a free application.

I'd like to know where my application is being used, because you never know
if some major Hollywood site or some football team is using it to power
their site. Nick wouldn't be able to pop into google and perform a search on
"PHP Accelerator" and see what servers are using it.

Just my 2 cents.