[pedevel] Re: keywords.cpp with BeOS API symbols

  • From: Oliver Tappe <pedevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pedevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 18:11:43 +0200

On 2004-05-02 at 17:16:06 [+0200], Christian Packmann wrote:
> On 2004-05-02 00:55:33 [+0000], Axel Doerfler wrote:
>
> > Correct parsing could have a lot of advantages, like pointing out=20
> > (spelling) errors in the code :-)
> > Most modern IDEs have such a feature anyway.
>
> Correct parsing sure would be nice, but as Oliver pointed out, we'd
> need=20 namespace parsing for C++, and that would be decidedly
> non-trivial. AFAICS truly correct context-sensitive parsing would require
> not only a=20 good parser, but a complete and tightly integrated IDE. The
> IDE has to keep= =20 track of all classes/methods, not only BeOS ones, but
> also the ones in the= =20 current project (like e.g. Delphi/Kylix does).
> IMO this is beyond the scope= =20 of a "simple" editor like Pe.

I agree with Christian here. Pe is "just" an editor and I personally have
no intention to change it into a proper IDE. That's just too much work,
esp. since several IDE-developments are (rumoured to be) on their way.

Furthermore, I believe the internal workings of Pe to not be sufficient for
a proper, extensible IDE. It works, but it's a bit of a mess, really... >:oP

cheers,
        Oliver