[PCWorks] Posting guideline reminders, Please read

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 23:58:16 -0500

Hi all.  I was hoping I wouldn't ever have to post anything
like this, but unfortunately I do.  Please take a few seconds
to read this. (Any CAPS text below is not shouting, that's the
only way to make such an emphatic important statement in plain
text email).

It seems many members are still not removing the footers, and
leaving a lot of unnecessary text* in their replies.  Nothing
has changed from when Marlene had the list, these things still
have to be done.  To remind those that are forgetting from time
to time, this is in the welcome message everyone receives when
joining:

"[.......] Like the previous list, please don't forget to
remove the footers and headers from your posts as to not clog
up messages with unneeded* text.  Also please leave the past
message or two intact when you reply, or the full thread if
necessary, so none of the contextual aspect of the posts will
be lost.  We want people to know what we're talking about that
has NOT seen previous posts on a given subject. [.....]"

*Unneeded or unnecessary text is; of course the footer, but
ALSO all those blocks of header information that is seen below
that line of:  -----Original Message-----  in most email
programs, which has the sender's email address, the list's
email address, the time, the subject line, etc.  That too is
unnecessary.  Please leave the sender's name in place if they
do not sign their posts so we'll know who they are, but IT'S
ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT THAT EMAIL ADDRESSES BE
REMOVED.  While the list archives automatically removes
them so they're protected from there against Spam, this is
NOT the case on list that we receive in our inboxes!   There
are dozens of hops emails can take being scanned by dozens,
even hundreds of servers for email addresses that are
harvested, and sold to parasites.  Then there are also MANY
of our ISP's that are unscrupulous and will scan emails for
email addresses and also sell them.  Now none of us want
that to happen.  So PLEASE remember to remove all email
addresses to protect your fellow list members' email addresses
from these cyber-terrorists.

If a thread's context changes, then please ONLY remove all of
the past posts in your replies that do NOT pertain to the new
context of the thread.  I'm all for complete quoting, there is
no character limit here and I've found many cut out way too
much of a thread, but leaving in totally irrelevant text is
unnecessary.

Please DO NOT remove previous posts from your replies
that have a direct bearing on your reply or the post to which
you are replying.  Snipping too much is like listening to a
one-sided telephone conversation. ;-)  It can be very confusing
and useless to those that have not been a part of that
particular thread, but are interested in it.  Also please
remember to leave all URL's/links in the thread that members
have provided (unless of course they have become totally
irrelevant).

Anyone with long signature files, please trim those down before
you post.  It's ok to leave in your URL's, but other lines of
text can be quite a filler.  (I trim my signature file each
time I post.  Those of you that know me off-list certainly know
how huge my signature file is! ;-).

The reason for this trimming when needed: some members are
on ISP's that charge-by-the-byte.  So when you leave in all
that unneeded text, that's costing them more money.  Needless
to say, that's very frustrating to them.  Then there are the
members that are on dial-up, and it can take quite a while to
download bloated emails, and can get frustrating to them as
well that they had to wait so long.  Also we have many members
on Digest, and it can be annoying to read through the Digest
emails and see them loaded with footers and email header blocks
through which they have to endlessly scroll.

Thanks again for your time, and your contributions in keeping
our list active.

I particularly want to point out how pleased I am (and I'm sure
all of you are), about how well everyone conducts themselves.
I've seen no insults, bad arguments, or anything of the sort.
Just polite, friendly, jovial posts, and of course all of the
helpful posts.  Now that's the way a list should be!  I've had
several email lists before, and each one of them had their
share of hostility, and it's great not to see any of that here.
Keep up the good work.  :-)  I know Hugh and Wally thank
you as well.  That's made our moderator/problem solving
tasks A LOT easier, and we thank all of you.
-Clint (list owner)

God Bless
Clint Hamilton, Owner
http://www.OrpheusComputing.com