[PCWorks] Partial fix, but still need help with batch files (trying to shut down & restart Microsoft Security Essentials)

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 06:10:40 -0500

So far the only way I've found to stop "MsMpEng.exe" and
"msseces.exe" (so I can successfully defragment,
install/uninstall apps, video creation/editing, and RAM &
resource intensive tasks, etc.), is to create two 'taskkill'
shortcuts; one for each.  In the shortcut "Target" properties
for each, are these:

1st one: C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskkill.exe /f /im msseces.exe
2nd one: C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskkill.exe /f /im MsMpEng.exe

They need to be clicked in that order or an MSE pop-up will
appear.

**#I have not yet found a way to incorporate both commands into
one click.

Then to start MSE again when I need it, I changed the
properties of the MSE app shortcut to point to a batch file:

@title MSE Manager
@echo Running MsMpSvc... Wait until it's done.
net start MsMpSvc
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe"
@echo Stopping unnecessary service...
@net stop MsMpSvc

Or:

@title MSE Manager
@echo Running MsMpSvc... Wait until it's done.
net start MsMpSvc
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe"

It starts again as before, the icon goes to the System Tray,
but either way, **#unlike all the other batch files I use in
the exact same manner, the command window will not
automatically close like the others!  So I have to click to
close it, and click to close the MSE main program window.

To change the shortcut icon for the new MSE shortcut back to
the MSE icon, you click its Properties > Change icon > then
browse to the MSE folder and select msseces.exe .  To do the
same thing for the taskkill shortcuts, I created a new icon
using the default MSE icon but with a red X through it, and
used those for both of the shortcuts, put those on the Quick
Launch toolbar next to the MSE app (MSE batch file) icon.

**#If someone could assist with those areas, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

This is what happens when you pull your hair out over
something, and end up over-complicating it.  Seconds after
I posted that below, I realized why not just simply use a
shortcut to taskkill???  DUH.

I created two shortcuts to it, and edited the properties of
each to read:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskkill.exe /f /im MsMpEng.exe

And:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskkill.exe /f /im msseces.exe

That works fine. So I now I need to find a way to incorporate
BOTH of those tasks into ONE click.

Now I noticed, that when I click the MSE icon to start it
again, it won't start!  The app starts, the interface opens up,
but the frickin' Service won't start like it used to!  You have
to click that red button on it "Start Now", even though the
Service is set to Automatic!

I'm having a lot of problems trying to do the SIMPLEST thing
and I'm hoping someone can put me in the right direction.  I
have ~a dozen batch files that I use to stop and start various
XP Services, with NO PROBLEM.  (For example, there's no point
in keeping the Spooler Service running all the time sucking up
memory, so I have it set to Manual, then I click the Start
batch file before I want to print something, then click its
Stop batch file when I finished.  Perfect).

So what's the problem in doing this with Microsoft Security
Essentials and its anti-malware service????  First, the idiot
program has NO WAY of shutting it down, THAT is the problem.
Obviously M$ believes that no one would EVER have any reason to
close it hence the lack of the simple right click System Tray
icon and "Exit" or "Close"!  The only way to shut it down is to
open the Task Manager and click both "MsMpEng.exe" and
"msseces.exe" and "End Process" for each.  That just doesn't
cut it.

Using the same batch file method for the SERVICE, MsMpEng.exe,
"Microsoft Antimalware Service", DID work, ONCE.  But every
attempt after that FAILED with an "Access denied" message
showing in the batch file command window!  I've tried all of
these, all at once and with the last 1 or 2 not there:

@echo Stopping unnecessary service...
@net stop Microsoft Antimalware Service
@net stop MsMpSvc
@net stop MsMpEng.exe

Then there's the problem with the app itself, which is NOT a
Service, "msseces.exe".  I can't find ANY way to shut it down
via batch file.

However, "taskkill" DOES work for BOTH of the running items!
But it will ONLY work after you click Run in the Start Menu and
pasted the command line!  You have to do it TWICE:

taskkill /f /im MsMpEng.exe

Then:

taskkill /f /im msseces.exe

So if that works, then why can't some kind of a ONE-CLICK
SHORTCUT to those COMPLETE commands work?  Why can't a batch
file be created to do BOTH tasks at the SAME time?

I read that one can 'allegedly' create a shortcut from the Run
command.  You can't.  When I try and drag the Run icon in the
Start Menu (as the webpage states), nothing happens!  So I then
found the cmd.exe file, and made a shortcut to that.  Ok, but
now what?  Obviously when you click it, the only thing that
happens is the cmd prompt window opens up WAITING FOR the
COMMAND line.  How do I automatically POPULATE that line in it;
"C:\WINDOWS\system32>", to EXECUTE the command lines I want?  I
tried modifying the shortcut's properties and that doesn't
work:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe -taskkill /f /im MsMpEng.exe

...and several other variants, with and without quotes in
various areas, etc.

So again, can anyone POH-LEEZE tell me how to shut down MSE,
BOTH of those running processes, in ONE click?  Via batch file,
VBS script, Run command shortcut, etc, I don't care.  Of course
this would NOT be necessary if M$ would have simply added the
right click and "Exit" for the System Tray icon.

Thanks,
-Clint

God Bless,
Clint Hamilton, Owner