Re: [PCWorks] What's a heatsink?

  • From: Sue Cubic <scubic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2009 18:57:49 -0400

At 10:27 PM 4/4/2009 +0300, you wrote:
>Sue,
>
>In ye olde days, back when people like me had hair, serious computers were
>maintained in big rooms with air conditioners. I recall working on a PDP-11,
>and some of the senior members of this group may remember even bigger
>monstrosities.

I was around during those times too, but I was simply married to one
who was trained by IBM in the early 60's to be a "Customer Engineer".
:)  I'm sure he understood all of this.  I still have his original
IBM "issue" tool kit, that he carried every day, complete with
capacitors and resistors...pretty little striped things. :)

Strangely enough, he was spooked by the internet.  In fact he claimed
the internet was "not really computing". :)  I had to set up his
email for him and update browsers, etc--once he got interested in
doing genealogy online.  I still deal with these kinds of ppl in
teaching classes at the senior center.  Slowly, the guys are warming
up to me and sensing that I do respect their past abilities, and am
willing to help them gain some benefits from all the years that they
put in building the industry.

I think I would have been a decent programmer back in the beginning,
as I loved the class material (flow charts) that he'd bring home to
me --for puzzles.

I'm totally amazed at how far the computer industry has come--all in
my lifetime.  Coming from an elite high-tech industry, down to the
practical use for common folk is remarkable.

Sue